fighters in Yemen said Tuesday Saudi warplanes had launched several
airstrikes on residential areas in northern parts of the country,
killing at least 2 civilians and leaving several others wounded.
According to a statement released by the Houthi leader's office,
Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, more than 410 missiles were launched overnight
into civilian areas.
The warplanes targeted a market in northern Sa'ada province and destroyed several shops and residential homes in Al-Talah.
Several air raids were launched into al-Maran region in Sa'ada, while a number of villages in Amran province were targeted.
The fighters, however, said they repelled several attacks by Saudi forces on Jebel al-Ramih early Tuesday morning.
They said Saudi forces had withdrawn from the area by noon. They
also claimed they had exploded a hummer vehicle belonging to the Saudi
Saudi Arabia joined the Yemeni government's campaign against the
Houthi fighters in November 2009. The fighters accuse Riyadh of
targeting civilian areas far from the Saudi-Yemeni border.
The attacks have so far killed scores of civilians and displaced thousands of others.
The Yemeni government claims the fighters are seeking to revive an
imamate that was toppled in 1962. The fighters, however, say they
demand an end to government's social, economic and political
"discrimination" against Shias as well as Saudi-backed attempts to
spread Wahabism a sect that preaches controversial and violent
actions in the northern areas.
According to the Houthis, alongside the Saudi attacks on Tuesday,
Yemeni warplanes launched at least 18 air strikes on populated areas of
Al-Swf, Al-Salam, Al-Shanan and Damaj in the beleaguered north.
Shia fighters said they inflicted heavy losses on Yemeni forces as
they were planning to attack Harf Sufyan in Amran province. They also
claimed they had exploded five tanks and left several Yemeni forces
killed in the region.
They said joint Saudi-Yemeni aerial and ground attacks continued late Tuesday.